Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Little fish in the BF pond called the internet

I am working on a new website to provide information for homeowners and DIYers in completing maintenance and repair on their properties.  We hope to be able to provide some real information to help people not only take better care of their properties but save money doing it.  I knew very little about building a complicated website but I have struggled through to the point of having it up and running although the content is still being developed.  I began researching SEO (search engine optimization) to try to get our page atleast visable to the search engines to get traffic.  I have yet to find a search containing the keywords I built in to pull up anything about our site.  I do understand that it may take several weeks to have the search engines process our site.

I began to look at doing some advertising via pay per click and researched the key words associated with our site and the bidding price to be near the top.  Wow was I shocked at how much money it takes to be on the first page of Google or Yahoo.  If I spent approximately $20,000. per month I could be like number 2 or 3 on the list.  For this price it appears you will get traffic but of the 200 or so per day that might click on your ad how many might actually do something that might generate any revenue to offset the advertising costs. 

I dont know what my expectation was but I had no idea what kind of money was being spent on advertising to people directed to your site.  It is frustrating to try to do search for specific information and only see results that have little to do with what you are trying to find.  It doesnt seem to matter if they have the information you are searching for but what matters is how much they bid on the keyword you searched for.  I will not be writing checks of this size anytime soon and will keep plugging away here and there to try to get our information out there to atleast be found.

There seems to be less and less content and more and more sites just to collect advertising revenue.  There is not much I can do to change the rules of the game I just have to figure out some way to work around them.  I guess that I still just dont play well with others.  http://www.onlinehomeresource.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment